He wrote about how dead rats were shoveled into sausage grinding machines. He explained, in nauseating detail, how diseased cows were slaughtered for beef; how guts and garbage were swept off the floor and sold as "potted ham."
Upton Sinclair even described how the occasional worker would fall into a meat-processing tank and be ground, along with animal parts, into "Durham's Pure Leaf Lard."
The Chicago meat-packing industry was in deep trouble after Sinclair's landmark book, The Jungle, was published in 1906. It caused outrage in America and abroad and meat sales fell by half. The book forced the government to pass the Meat Inspection Act and the Pure Food and Drug Act, which established the Food and Drug Administration.
- AMA gives Lucky Charms a Heart-healthy seal on App...
- Michael Pollan Omnivore's Dilemma
- Upton Sinclair - Book "The Jungle" --> FDA creat...
- Aspartame soon to be banned. Hawaii is trying!
- Weston A. Price Foundation to FDA: Soy is No Healt...
- Toxic toothpaste leads to new charges
- FDA - the real Terminators
- ▼ March (7)